- Police Department
- Community Awareness
- Assistance for Crime Victims & Witnesses
Assistance for Crime Victims & Witnesses
Victim/Witness Unit of Sarpy CountyEstablished in 1981 as a non-profit organization under the auspices of the Sarpy County Attorney's Office, the Victim/Witness Unit of Sarpy County is a program set up to aid victims of crime who are unaware of the avenues of assistance open to them. The majority of the crime victims are not knowledgeable of the procedures necessary to obtain assistance, or they are too traumatized or injured to cope with the problem.
The Victim/Witness Unit is a free public service offering information, practical assistance, and counseling referrals to victims of crime in the Sarpy County area.
The goals of the Victim/Witness Unit are:
- Improve victim/witness treatment: The overall goal of the Victim/Witness program is to improve the treatment of victims and witnesses of crime by providing them with the assistance and services necessary to speed their recovery from a criminal act. To support and aid them as they move through the criminal justice process.
- Increase victim consideration: The program also works in assisting various criminal justice agencies in giving more consideration and personal attention to victims and witnesses of crimes. Assists in attempting to sensitize law enforcement officials, the mass media and the community at large to the special needs that face these individuals.
- Increase victim knowledge: The program also acts to assure that victims and witnesses of crimes are kept informed and updated into the process of the case in which they are involved.
- Improve community attitude: The program attempts to improve the attitude of victims and witnesses, and the community in general, toward the criminal justice system so that victims and witnesses will be more likely to become involved in the criminal justice system.
- Sarpy County Victim-Witness
- Papillion Police Assistance for Crime Victims & Witnesses Brochure (PDF)